Monday, January 20, 2014

Oink!!

Yesterday I finished a cake for one of my husband's coworkers. Her daughter was turning 8 and absolutely loves pigs. I knew there were several options for a pig cake, but I wanted a pig shaped cake, not just a pig decorated cake.

I had found this recipe for a pig shaped cake. I liked the basic idea if this cake, but didn't want to do a cherry cake, as that's not what the client asked for. Instead I just used my traditional yellow cake recipe. 

This was the first time is ever baked a cake in a glass bowl. I reduced the temperature by 50 degrees: 25 because the batter was much thicker and 25 because glass conducts heat quicker than metal pans. 

This is want the cake looked like out of the oven:



My husband loves shaped cakes...there's so much more extras when it's leveled. So he got a bowl of cake top and a dollop of frosting. Happy camper!

The above recipe also didn't call for any layers. I thought it was going to be too much cake, not enough frosting. So I used my leveler and cut three layers to fill with vanilla buttercream. Lastly, the client didn't want fondant and I don't recommend it for kids anyway. Instead, I used modeling chocolate to get the same clean look with a better flavor.  The eyes, ears, nose, tail, and hooves were done in a matching marshmallow fondant.  And of course some dark chocolate frosting to get the little guy all muddy!

I was very impressed with the result!




Stay sweet!

2 comments:

  1. This is the cutest thing ever!! That had to have been fun to make :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Amber! It was a ton of fun to make. The sweet little 9 year old was very happy with it!

    ReplyDelete