Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Reviving childhood treats.

Sunday was my dear sister-in-law's birthday. My mother-in-law had told me about this cherry cake they got Rachel every year from a local bakery. That is until things started to go south, and Laurie said the cake began to taste like a boxed mix. So that was the end of Rachel's cherry cake. 

I wanted to revive her childhood cherry tradition-- I also wanted to practice the cherry cake because I had a sneaking suspicion she was going to ask for that for her wedding cake. I get to pull double duty as baker-bridesmaid in May. So I figured it wouldn't hurt to start now. 

Laurie also said Rachel's birthday cakes had traditionally been Valentine themed, considering the close proximity to V-day. With love on the brain, it was only natural to do the cake in her wedding colors-- pink and gray. 

The cake was frosted in a simple vanilla buttercream. It was light and delicate, and seemed to absorb some of the cherry flavor in the cake, which was really delicious.  The gray ruffles were made of modeling chocolate-- it's so much tastier than fondant.


The cake inside was just as pretty pink and so delicious. I am not a fruity cake lover, so honestly I was skeptical of this cake. But it was incredible! And I'm pretty sure it made the list for the nuptials. 


Stay Sweet!


No comments:

Post a Comment